Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Basil Pesto


The Menu
Spicy Salmon Chunks
Pasta with Basil Pesto*
Sauteed Zucchini

I have a lot of basil which is a good thing since we like it so much.  During the summer and fall, I often add basil to our garden salads; tomato salad with garlic, feta cheese, and basil is a favorite; and it adds a kick to lots of vegetables.  And then there is pasta with pesto.  Delicious!
Three or four times during the summer, I make a major raid on the basil patch.  I collect enough leaves to make 8 cups pressed down.  I wash it thoroughly and remove all stems, blooms and damaged leaves.  At times I have to go back to the garden for enough leaves to make up the 8 cups. 
I process these in a food processor in two batches.   For each batch I process until I have a fairly smooth product, scraping down the sides at least three or four times.  When I'm satisfied that it is as smooth as it is likely to get, I drizzle in 1/8 cup olive oil with the machine running. 
Repeat with the other batch. 
This should yield about 12 ounces of pesto.  I divide this in four portions; wrap and freeze three of them for later use and use the fourth immediately.  The pesto will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks and will last several months in the freezer.  For me, it's really nice to have when we return from winter vacation.

Pasta with Pesto - My Version

Prepare pasta according to package directions to al dente.

Without cleaning the food processor, combine basic pesto with the following:

1/2 to 2 cloves of garlic, crushed.  The wide range is necessary because especially here in Mexico where the strength of garlic varies significantly.
2 Tsp lightly toasted and roughly chopped nuts.  Pine nuts are traditional, but pecans are great.
1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil.  Add the oil slowly and stop when the pesto has reached a consistency you like.

Stir in:
1/2 cup freshly grated hard cheese.  Parmesan is the favorite, but most any hard cheese will work.

Taste and add salt as needed.



No comments:

Post a Comment