Friday, July 22, 2011

Zucchini with a Cinnamon Twist

The Menu
Pan Fried Talapia with Lime and Thyme
Zucchini with a Cinnamon Twist*

Lots of zucchini.  That isn't any surprise to anyone with a garden.   One plant would have produced more than enough for the two of us.  With three plants, we have given zucchini to everyone who would stand still long enough.  I may not be quite so generous in the future.  This recipe breathed some new life into my humble zucchini.  We will definitely have this again.

Zucchini with a Cinnamon Twist -

2 Tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 pound small zucchini, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 Tsp parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

In a large saute pan, over medium-high heat, saute the garlic for 30 seconds in the olive oil.  add the zucchini, salt, pepper, and sugar.  Stir fry for 6 to 7 minutes or until the zucchini is tender and slightly golden.  Remove from the heat, stir in the parsley and cinnamon.  Toss quickly and serve immediately.

I did not alter the recipe at all, and even though the recipe plainly states that it serves 4, we ate every bite by ourselves. 

The recipe came from A Taste of Croatia by Karen Evenden, page 66.  I bought the book last summer as we were preparing for our fall trip to Europe thinking I should learn something about Croatian cuisine before I hit the restaurants.  It was a great introduction to not only the food, but the people, landscape, and culture of Croatia.  I owe Ms. Evenden a big 'thank you' for easing my way into an area that quickly became one of my favorite places. 


No comments:

Post a Comment