Monday, July 25, 2011

Glazed Carrots and Pineapple

Meet my friend Lucy.  She's a great cook, one of those experts in Mexican food that I depend on to provide me with an excellent "south of the border" meal from time to time.
To make all things better, she has the world's greatest laugh.

The Menu
Braised Lamb
White Rice Studded with Whole Kernel Corn
Jalapenos in Cream Sauce
Fresh Hot Corn Tortillas
Glazed Carrots and Pineapple* - My contribution

3 cups carrots, peeled and cut in 1/4 inch rounds
2 Tsp agave syrup
2 Tsp butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp Madras curry powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup fresh pineapple, finely minced
Salt to taste
Seeds of one pomegranate

Place carrots in a saucepan with water and boil until cooked to your liking.

Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, over medium heat, mix syrup, butter, cinnamon, Madras curry powder, red pepper flakes, and pineapple.  Stir until butter has melted and sauce is heated through.

Drain carrots and add to the syrup/pineapple mixture and mix to coat.

My grandmother always said that even the sweetest dish needed a dash of salt.  I agree.  Taste and add salt accordingly.

Right before serving, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.

The inspiration for the recipe came from http://www.food.com/.  However, I changed it so much they probably wouldn't recognize it.  The biggest change was substituting fresh pineapple for the canned pineapple chunks called for in the original recipe. 

I knew it was good when Ferdi, Lucy's husband, told me it tasted like it should be on the Pilgrim menu.

I love these guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment