Thursday, July 7, 2011

Carrots, Sicilian Style

The Menu

Grilled Salmon with Garlic Butter
Carrots, Sicilian Style*
Grilled Pineapple
Salad from the Garden

They may be ugly little carrots, but the garden is full of them.  After I washed this bunch, I sent Stanley back for this many more.  It was time for a carrot feast. 

Carrots, Sicilian Style
My Version
3/4 pound carrots
Salted water to taste
1/2 Tsp butter
1 Tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tsp stripped and chopped fresh oregano
2 tsp chopped parsley
3 Tsp dry red wine
1 Tsp Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1.Slice carrots diagonally 1/4 inch thick.  Blanch 3 to 4 minutes in lightly salted water until almost tender.  Drain and cool with water.  Drain well.
2.  Heat a medium frying pan.  Add butter, oil, garlic, and carrots.  Saute over medium heat, tossing until the carrots become tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
IF NOT READY TO SERVE IMMEDIATELY, STOP HERE AND CONTINUE WHEN THE CARROTS CAN BE SERVED PIPING HOT AS SOON AS THE WINE EVAPORATES.
3.  Add the herbs and continue cooking one minute. 
4.  Add the wine and cook over high heat until evaporated to a glaze.
5.  Sprinkle with the Parmesan and salt and pepper.

2 servings, but if you have left-overs, they are great the following day.

Recipe inspiration came from The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian by Jeff Smith, page 379.

How I altered the recipe:

I cut Jeff's recipe in half except for the herbs.  I have so much; it's a shame not to use it.
Also, he calls for the carrots to be served immediately.  Since I knew I would not be able to do that, I took the carrots off heat before adding the herbs and wine.  When I was ready to serve, I reheated them, added the herbs and wine as described above.  It worked fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment