Monday, August 1, 2011

Ratatouille



The Menu
Grilled Lamb Chops
Ratatouille*

Those glossy purple teardrops may look like something on the end of a bull to some folks, but I know they are prize worthy eggplants, the first I have ever had in my very own garden.  Yesterday was the day of reckoning, the day we would see just how good they really were.  Pleasant, sweet surprise!  They tasted as good as they looked. 

Ratatouille* - My Version

1 lb eggplant
1 lb zucchini
1 tsp salt

4 Tsp olive oil - more if needed

1/2 lb thinly sliced onion
2 sliced green peppers
2 to 3 Tsp olive oil, if necessary
Mashed garlic to taste

1 can stewed tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup red wine
Salt and Pepper
1 Tsp Herbs de Provence

My eggplant had extremely thin skin so I did not peel it.  However, unless the skin is almost paper thin, remove it and slice the eggplant  in circles 1/2" thick.
Cut the zucchini into circles about the same size as the eggplant.  Place the vegetables in a bowl and toss with the salt.  Let stand 30 minutes.  Drain.  Dry each slice with a towel.

One layer at a time, saute the eggplant and the zucchini in hot olive oil to lightly brown each side.  Remove to a side dish.

In the same skillet, cook the onions and peppers slowly in olive oil until tender but not browned.  Stir in the garlic, Herbs de Provence, and season with salt and pepper.

Slice the drained tomatoes into 1/8" strips.  Lay them over the onion and pepper mixture.  Cover the skillet and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until the liquid is reduced by half.

Arrange the ratatouille in a  3 quart pot in this order:
Tomato, onion, pepper mixture
Eggplant and zucchini
Tomato, onion, pepper mixture
Eggplant and zucchini
Tomato, onion, pepper mixture

Cover the pot and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.  Uncover, tip pot and baste with the rendered juices.  Add more salt, pepper, or Herbs de Provence as necessary.  Raise the heat slightly and cook uncovered for about 15 minutes.  Almost all the juice will evaporate so take care not to scorch the bottom.

Reheat slowly at serving time. 

Inspiration for the recipe came from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, page 503.  I made only three changes in the recipe.  I used stewed tomatoes instead of the fresh ones she suggested.  My tomatoes are great for eating fresh, but they tend to have a lot of juice and I didn't want to take the chance of having a vegetable soup instead of ratatouille.  Next time I will use the fresh ones.  I may have to cook them a bit longer, but all will be well.  Also, I used Herbs de Provence instead of the minced parsley she suggested.  And, finally, I added the red wine on my own initiative.  I simply couldn't imagine Ratatouille without the taste of red wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment