Thursday, August 4, 2011

Potatoes with Paprika

The Menu
Grilled Chicken Thighs
Potatoes Sauteed with Paprika*
Garden Salad with Mango

My time in Budapest left me with a deep affection for all things paprika.  I hit upon the idea of sprinkling the wonder spice on potatoes fairly quickly.  Delicious!  Imagine my delight when I found a recipe all written out by a professional that was an exact duplicate of mine.  The only difference was that hers was written for four people as all of mine are designed for two.

Potatoes Sauteed with Paprika - My Version

1 large potato or enough small new potatoes to equal approximately12 oz, washed and thinly sliced
1 Tsp olive oil
1 tsp hot paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste. 

Warm the oil in a medium fry pan and stir in the paprika, salt and pepper.  Quickly add the potatoes and stir until all the potatoes are evenly coated with the paprika and oil combination.  Cover the fry pan and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender.

If you decide to double the recipe, extend cooking time accordingly. 

I use a mild form of paprika for this, but it's fun to experiment with the spicier versions.

The inspiration for this recipe came from my love of paprika, but the validating recipe came from A Taste of Croatia by Karen  Evenden, page 62.

One more note:  I used the same paprika, salt, and pepper mix to season the chicken before grilling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment